Symmetry & Ryan Lewis- Down



Other than Shawn Jackson and the upcoming PHIMB project, I had no clue what the state of Rhode Island had to offer the world of hip hop; however, my knowledge of North Eastern rap grew even more after I came across a collaborative record from "Ocean State" MC, Symmetry, and a renowned Emerald City producer, Ryan Lewis.

The self titled album, which was recently released on iTunes, features an electric cauldron bubbling to the brim with bangin' production and infectious tributes to various musical eras spanning from the roaring 30s and 60s/70s rock to the alternative revolution of the early 90s. For most hip hop elitists, the pop-drizzled hooks and sing song bits won't find their way into the backpack, but for those craving something more progressive and fun-- this is for you.

Below, I added not necessarily the best song on the album, but the most accessible to all hip hop preferences, and one that gives the best glimpse of what the record is all about in "Down." I also wanted to show off some older material from Symmetry that I found and enjoyed-- his "Intoxication" video and a track from his 2007 release on Poorly Drawn People Records, Dusty Pickup, called "Idiosyncratic." I think I dig his singing more than his rapping, but you decide...




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Old Whiskey Teeth
“To do a dull thing with style - now THAT'S what I call art.” -Charles Bukowski