Top 10 Free Albums/Mix Tapes of the Year


Here are the Top 10 Free Albums/Mix Tapes of the Year (only one mix tape) according to Whiskey Teeth (or just me). I'm sure I missed a lot, but these are the freebies that received the most spins, shares, and I felt gave the blogosphere something different and refreshing to look forward to in the future. Thank you to all the artists that continually give their music to us for free. Don't forget about us music nerds when you get big.

10. Odd Future- Radical

Thoughts: Many like Earl and Tyler's solo freebies, but, in my opinion, neither carried enough umph to be put on an end of the year list. Odd Future has incredible potential, they have hypnotized the internet for the better half of 2010, and have a bushel of addicting singles, but they still lack experience and it shows in their compilations. I'm on the edge of my seat with what Earl and Tyler have to offer in the future, but I'd be lying if I said their music completely blows me away so far (the hype, reaction, and ethos is a different story). 

Radical, a haphazard mix tape that features every single Odd Future member, is the best 2010 representation of the biggest internet buzzed act next to Lil B and it's why I chose it over Earl's self titled give away.



#'s 9-1 on the flip side!
9. Lee Bannon & Chuuwee- Hot n Ready

Thoughts: While many of the blogosphere's sheep bahhhh at a basket full of blow hards and overrated youngin's, a 19 year old from Sacramento, California slid under their radar. Chuuwee's collaboration with Lee Bannon sounds like a long lost demo tape from 1995 and showcases the young MCs immaculate throw back flow and potential. The sound quality is all over the place (I think that's a Lee Bannon thing that he does on purpose?), but fans of Fashawn and AZ will love the kid that sounds like a mashup between the two.

Download It




8. RoQ’y TyRaiD- The New Millenium Man

Thoughts: RoQ’y TyRaiD is a Phoenix, Arizona based MC that released his free album The New Millennium Man earlier this summer which featured RoQ'y terrorizing beats from Madlib, Jake One, Just Blaze and original production from The Baron Boys, Dn3, and Rie$go. I got hooked on RoQ'y's cynical, misanthropic content and after multiple listens got even more into his style, flow, and versatility. Definitely a slept on unveiling, but I know he'll be making noise in 2011 and beyond when you slow mother fuckers decide to catch up.

Download It




7. Batsauce- Summertime

Thoughts: I caught this little ray of sunshine from Jacksonville, FL producer Batsauce towards the end of the summer, which is constructed entirely from versions of Gershwin’s classic song ‘Summertime’, and it instantly became one of my favorite releases. The project features special guests The Perceptionists (Mr. Lif & Akrobatik), Mass Influence, Qwazaar, Baje One, Dillon, Chop, Paten Locke, Lady Daisey, and Wynton Kelly Stevenson. Underrated and overlooked-- what's new.

Download It


6. KON- Above the Clouds

Thoughts: Kon's introduction to the world has an impeccable sound. The versatile production from DJ Dyllema, Marcus Sebastion, The Individualz, and Kon himself will exercise your neck as Kon anchors the ship with his crystal clear cadence. The luminous feel of the EP gives a whole other meaning to its title, but is more than likely due to the simple touch of an MC/Producer that also holds a degree in music engineering and has produced/engineered for Ras Kass, O.C., Blahzay, and more. 

Besides the EP's altostratus sound, Kon makes quite a first impression. Reminiscent of a fellow New York MC in Sene, his pen is heartfelt, thoughtful, and poetic; his flow is simplistic, precise, and digestible; and his ear for production near flawless.

As Kon prepares us for his debut full length LP, My Glorious Imperfection, we are left with a good feeling about his supposed weaknesses to come. In one debut EP/Demo, Kon has already proven worthy to pilot hip hop fans above the clouds for years to come. Buckle up.


5. Black EL & Ryan Durkin- Color Commentary

Thoughts: The Dick Vitale of Hip Hop shows his everlasting energy and excitement for music on his sophomore release, even more so than on his debut, A Major Minority, an almost impossible feat.
Black has definitely upped his game and has transformed from a diaper dandy into a PTPer with Ryan Durkin at his side. 

Word is that this connection will continue, and if that's the case, so will the success. Black EL's voice is refreshing.




4. Dom Kennedy- From the Westside with Love


Thoughts: This is a freebie that I missed during my internet hiatus, but the first thing I downloaded once I returned and it never left the rotation. I don't know what it is about Dom, but he has that 'something' that crawls inside your head, infects, and lasts. His style is simple, nonchalant, and blunted, but is extremely infectious and replayable. All of his freebies have been dope, so if you aren't familiar yet-- get to it.





3. Outasight- Never Say Never


Thoughts: I've been supporting Outasight's movement (Rhymehouse, etc.) before he finally caught fire on the bigger blogs and the Yonkers, NY bred artist has only gotten better. This 2010 freebie gives fans a glimpse on his growth and a sneak peak into what I think his major label debut will sound like. Out of all the new artists that have popped up in the blogosphere in the past few years, Outa remains one of the most innovative and original MCs out there. I still believe he has the most potential to "blow up"-- it's only a matter of time. Never say never.








2. Danny Brown- The Hybrid

Thoughts: I only got into Danny Brown and The Hybrid about a month ago. If I had been on the Danny Brown bandwagon earlier, I would have handed over 2010 to Mr. Brown and called it a year (just peep what he dropped in 2010-- I haven't even gotten through half of it). The Hybrid is what you would get if Young Zee, Redman, and Lil Wayne became one MC, so this freebie was aptly titled. 

Download It


1. Aleon Craft- The Soundgazing Soundtrack

Thoughts: Hands down the best freebie of 2010. Big K.R.I.T. who? 

Download It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the list. thanks for introducing me to stuff I've not heard before.

Anonymous said...

DOPE. - JK

Anonymous said...

Dope List... Stargazing is still my jam

Post a Comment

Copyright © Old Whiskey Teeth
“To do a dull thing with style - now THAT'S what I call art.” -Charles Bukowski