Punch Brothers- You Are + Alex

Who knew that a small hiatus from hip hop would swerve me into the progressive bluegrass lane?

I was frightened at first. Like Pinnochio and Lampwick turning into donkeys after drinking, gambling, and smoking in Pleasure Island, I thought my debauchery back home was turning me into a flat out jug blowing (pause) redneck. Turns out that some of this stuff is just flat out good!

After a few months full of Old Crow Medicine Show, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Phish, and The Devil Makes Three, I have heard a wide range of bluegrass/alt-country music, all which led me to an amazing "prog-grass" band, Punch Brothers. Led by lead vocalist and mandolin player, Chris Tile, Punch Brothers mix fleeting bluegrass instrumentation with buttery folk vocals.

Antifogmatic, the Punch Brothers latest 10-track album (released June 15th) named after a type of 19th-century alcoholic drink that was meant as a cure for the effects of fog and other inclement weather, serves as a fantastic introduction to the band's schizophrenic style and infectious compositions. Below are just a few of my favorite tracks from the record (there are many), as well as a live performance of one of their spoon-to-knee slappers, "Rye Whiskey." The album is highly recommended.





Download: Punch Brothers- You Are


Download: Punch Brothers- Alex





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Old Whiskey Teeth
“To do a dull thing with style - now THAT'S what I call art.” -Charles Bukowski